Welcome to Empowered Bible Studies

Bible study is essential to our Christian walk. As we study God's Word, our personal relationship with God grows deeper and deeper. It empowers us to live for the Lord in every aspect of our lives. This is what has inspired me to do an online Bible study.

Many years ago my husband introduced me to a commentary on the book of Colossians and I was so blessed as the Scripture came to life before my very eyes. Since that day we have developed an extensive library and enjoy studying God's Word.

I have prepared some Bible studies that I would like to share with you. My prayer is that they will bless you as much as they have blessed me in preparing them. I pray your life is touched and that it would inspire you to live every moment of every day for Christ.

Please click on the link to the left under 'Empowered Bible Studies' for the Bible Study you would like to view.

Daily Devotions:

You may receive our Daily Devotions via email - look for the 'Subscribe to Blog' on the Left hand side.

Friday, April 24, 2015

Word of Hope

As Naomi and her daughters in-law grieved their loss, a word of hope came - we see in verses six and seven that the famine was over and the three women arose and departed from the land of Moab to go to the land of Judah.


Naomi resolved to return home to the Promised Land, and in so doing she believed that she had to leave her daughters-in-law in Moab because she thought that would be best for them. Notice the word ―kindly in verse 8. Ruth 1:8 “And Naomi said to her two daughters-in-law, "Go, return each to her mother's house. The Lord deal kindly with you, as you have dealt with the dead and with me.” (NKJV) The word kindly or kindness is the Hebrew word ḥesed̠ . It is an important word in the Book of Ruth (cf. 2:20; 3:10) and throughout the Old Testament. It speaks of God’s covenant loyalty to His people. It involves grace in that it was extended even when it was not deserved. The basis of Naomi’s blessing was the gracious actions of Ruth and Orpah to their husbands and to Naomi. Both young women were worthy in the eyes of their mother-in- law, so she wanted God to be good to them. Though they were foreigners, they had married Israelite men and thus were under God’s covenant.

Three different times Naomi insisted that Orpah and Ruth return to Moab, the world of unbelievers and false worship (1:8, 11, 12) thinking that they would be better off. The sad thing is that she felt God’s chastisement on her life, as we see in verse thirteen, so she didn’t think about the opportunities she had before her, the chance she had to bring her Moabite unsaved daughters-in-law to the Promised Land where they could hear the Gospel and be saved. Ruth and Orpah were both on their way to the Promised Land with Naomi, They were both committed to Naomi that they would have followed her, but with Naomi’s persuasion Orpah returned to her family in Moab – a missed opportunity.

My friend, it is never too late to ask God for forgiveness. If there is something in your life that you feel God is dealing with you – seek His face – seek His will for your life. We need to be in our word daily seeking a deep personal relationship with God. Constantly in prayer seeking guidance from the Lord and seeking His will for our lives. We need to be looking for opportunities to glorify God in every aspect of our lives.

Orpah stayed in Moab and we will see Ruth's decision in our next post. Until then, have a blessed day.


Ruth 1:6-13 Then she arose with her daughters-in-law that she might return from the land of Moab, for she had heard in the land of Moab that the LORD had visited His people in giving them food. So she departed from the place where she was, and her two daughters-in-law with her; and they went on the way to return to the land of Judah. And Naomi said to her two daughters-in-law, “Go, return each of you to her mother’s house. May the LORD deal kindly with you as you have dealt with the dead and with me. “May the LORD grant that you may find rest, each in the house of her husband.” Then she kissed them, and they lifted up their voices and wept. And they said to her, “No, but we will surely return with you to your people.” But Naomi said, “Return, my daughters. Why should you go with me? Have I yet sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands? “Return, my daughters! Go, for I am too old to have a husband. If I said I have hope, if I should even have a husband tonight and also bear sons, would you therefore wait until they were grown? Would you therefore refrain from marrying? No, my daughters; for it is harder for me than for you, for the hand of the LORD has gone forth against me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment